Yes, it is entirely possible to convert fabric to wallpaper. Robert Allen recently just announced the paper-backed wallpaper program, whereas any Robert Allen fabric can be converted into wallpaper. (Note: At the moment only Robert Allen is offering this service).
Here’s how the program works (as taken from Robert Allen’s web site):
Please contact us if you are interested in this program.
- Create elegant fabric wall coverings from virtually any fabric.
- Coordinate upholstery, window treatments, pillows and many other accessories to your fabric wall covering.
- The fabrics are back laminated with a commercial grade strippable paper or nonwoven engineered for wall covering.
- Adds substance and body to fabric making installation easier and quicker.
- No adhesive bleed-through during installation, allowing for professional quality seams.
- Extra thickness aids in concealing blemishes on wall surfaces.
- Paperbacked fabrics serve as insulators and acoustical aids.
- Maintains original color, texture and quality of your fabric.
Minimum Requirements: 5 yards
Timing 2 – 3 weeks once fabric is shipped from Robert Allen’s distribution center.
Below is the additional upcharge to the fabric price:
5-31 yards: Flat fee of $250.00
32-99 yards: $8.50 upcharge per yard (no flat fee)
Over 100 yards: $7.00 upcharge per yard (no flat fee)
CFA’s will only be submitted using standard fabric prior to being finished. CFA’s with wall covering backing applied are not available as a CFA.
Helpful Guidelines For Choosing Appropriate Fabric
- Must pass UFAC1 and Cal 117 in standard fabric state without the wall covering finish
- Not recommended for fabrics with horizontal repeats or horizontal stripes
- Avoid fabrics that must have a precision pattern match of a motif where the seams meet, for example a branch or a tree
- Avoid patterns that are railroaded
- Not recommended for loosely woven fabrics
- Fabric cannot exceed a finished width of 60″